Sunday, March 24, 2013

Spring Has Sprung

Spring is here, which means it’s time to update my blog header and post some springy pictures.

My Hellebore (Bridal Queen) is always the first thing flowering in my yard. It has become one of my favorite plants. It’s a double variety and sports these playful, purple spots. 

Hellebore Bridal Queen.

I am a little concerned about the Hellebore because the leaves have some holes and brown spots. It hasn’t kept it from blooming, though.

Hellebore Bridal Queen by the greenhouse.

The snowdrops were the next plants to bloom. I planted six bulbs a few years ago, but only half of them seem to ever show themselves. I’m guessing the other half fell prey to the squirrels. These dainty little blooms always make me think of fairies and magic dust. If I remember correctly, this variety of Galanthus is called Elfin.

Snowdrop – probably Galanthus Elfin.

Interestingly enough, my daffodils bloomed before the crocuses this year. Only about four of them are actually blooming yet, though.

Daffodil in the back yard by the greenhouse.

Daffodils in the front yard.

 Only the purple crocuses seem to be blooming this year.

Purple crocus in the herb bed by the screened-in back porch.

Purple crocus in front of the shed.

You wouldn’t know it was spring yet with the below-normal temps we’ve been having this March and the approaching snow. The forecast is for 1-3 inches by the end of the day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment