Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sounding Like a Broken Record

I feel like I’m sounding like a broken record talking about snow all of the time lately. Not only am I sounding like a broken record, but we are also breaking records for total amount of snowfall. On average, we have tended around 14 inches total for the winter, with it being much less than that the last couple of years. This year we are above 53 inches...and winter isn’t over yet! It feels like we get one snowstorm after another. Just as it starts to melt, we get walloped with another one.

This last snowstorm was a double whammy that was spread out over 32 hours. Add that to the snow that was still on the ground and we are well over a foot. The bottom two steps to the back porch are totally covered in snow.



You can’t even see the boxwoods in this photo, except for the ones in the large pots, because they are completely covered in snow. Same with the raised beds. I swear they are still there...somewhere. The snow is up to the bottom of the garden bench.



For comparison, here is a shot that was taken in October of 2013 of the entrance to the Kitchen Garden. Ah, to be October again...



It does look pretty when it sticks to all of the branches, but that also means it could do some damage with all that heavy snow.



The birds have temporarily lost one of their favorite resting places on the wisteria since it is now snow-covered. Instead they are seeking shelter under the eaves of the shed and in the birdhouses. Why these birds have decided to stick out this winter here, I have no clue. I’m wondering if they are second-guessing their choice to stay.



This was taken from inside the greenhouse at the top of the steps, looking towards the area I call my Secret Garden. Remember those boxwoods I showed a picture of a couple of weeks ago where I was worried because they were almost totally flattened by the snow? Well, you can barely even see them here now. The snow is almost up to the porch. I like the funny tiered design the snow made on the wrought-iron table. It looks like a wedding cake.



If I were a bird, this would be my birdhouse. This guy has the right idea with all of that warm, cozy nesting material. Hope it keeps you warm and dry, my little friend. Now go check out the birdseed I just put in the feeder for you.



P.S. It’s snowing again. We are expecting another 1-4 inches today. When will it end?!?!


No comments:

Post a Comment