Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Flower Garden in August (better late than never)

Yeh, yeh, I know, it’s September, not August. I can’t seem to keep up with how fast time flies. Here were the flower garden highlights in August.

August was still really, really hot, however, we did get several thunderstorms that at least watered the garden enough to keep things alive. 

The flower garden in August.

The Melampodium are finally looking full. It took them awhile, probably due to the heat. Melampodium is a yellow annual that I plant every year because it usually does well. I have discovered through the years, though, that it needs water more than you think it would or else it doesn’t get bushy and full. I have some in the flower garden and some in the center circular bed in the kitchen garden.

Melampodium, an annual.

Another annual that is doing well is the Black and Blue Salvia. It has gotten pretty full and has been blooming all summer. I love the color of the flowers and the stems are almost black near the top, hence the name.

Black and Blue Salvia, another annual.

Texas Sage is an annual I first planted last year. It’s doing exactly what it did last year, too — it gets off to a slow start and come late summer it gets bigger and fuller. Red is a color I don’t use a lot, other than with Pineapple Sage. I find I really like it.

Continuing on the theme of annuals: Texas Sage.

Boy, that Phlox David is still going strong. It really has put on a show this year, despite the heat. And still no signs of powdery mildew. The white flowers practically glow at night.  The blue ground cover is a variety of Plumbago and always looks it’s best this time of the year. It’s a very reliable ground cover.

Phlox David and Plumbago.

I never planted Morning Glory, yet it’s there every year on the arbor. It takes over in the late summer. Which really isn’t so bad because the climbing rose and climbing hydrangea really aren’t much to look at in the late summer.  The hummingbird loves it, so I love it.

Morning Glory and Climbing Hydrangea, with Phlox David in background.

I made a kind of “rock garden” in the front of the flower garden this year. The Sedum in the Medieval looking pot is probably 6 years old now. Whenever I think of repotting it, it starts to bloom and I think maybe it’s still happy in there. The bright green plant in the foreground is another kind of Sedum. The dainty yellow flowers in the background are Moonbeam Coreopsis. The flower in the foreground is an annual and I know the name, it’s just escaping me right now. After all, I will be another year older soon — the mind is the first thing to go!

Two kinds of Sedum, Moonbeam Coreopsis, and an annual.

Speaking of Sedum, here’s another one. This one really needs dividing because it has gotten very long and floppy the past two years. I bought this one because it had dark purple leaves. Not so much anymore. Not sure what happened there. I want to say it was either Dark Knight or Purple Emperor.

Sedum.

This Sedum is right next to the Black Eyed Susan, which looked great until recently. It looks like it has some sort of insect or disease issue right now.

Sedum and Black Eyed Susan.

I planted this Russian Sage next to the Sedum just this year. This is Little Spire, which is a dwarf variety.

Russian Sage.

This is a view of the flower garden taken from the back of the garden. Purple Butterfly Bush, hydrangea, peony, Sedum, Black Eyed Susan, and Phlox David are all in this picture. Plus a bit of tomato plant peaking in on the left side.

The flower garden in August.

I have two Butterfly Bushes, one is white and the other is a magenta/purplish color. And they are exactly what they say they are — butterfly magnets.

Purple Butterfly Bush.

As mentioned before, I had a bunch of ivy and poison ivy cleared out from the back of the flower garden. I have planted a few things in this shady area: a rhododendron, some Autumn Fern, and some hostas that used to be in the overgrown area on the other side of the back yard. I started to lay out a path, but haven’t finished that yet.

Behind the flower garden.

I kind of have a love/hate thing with Coleus. Sometimes I think it’s common and overused and other times I find all the various colors fascinating.

Coleus on the back steps.

A late season find at the nursery. Not labeled, so I don’t know exactly what it is. It must be related to Hens and Chicks, though. It’s much more dangerous looking though. I love the contrast of the grayish leaves and the dark purple thorns.

Cool, but dangerous.

I promise to post the kitchen garden pictures from August soon. Hopefully before September ends... :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment