Saturday, December 29, 2012

Let It Snow!

It’s a little late for Christmas, but it’s starting to look like a winter wonderland in the garden. We are only expecting a coating to an inch before it changes over to rain, so I thought I’d get outside and capture the moment.

The backyard.
The kitchen garden.

It is peaceful outside this morning. No neighbors, not even any birds chirping. Just the sound of the snow as it gently hits the ground.

The kitchen garden.
The kitchen garden.
Cauliflower and kale in the kitchen garden.

The snow coats the plants, looking like little crystals.

Knockout rose by the shed.
A dried leaf in an azalea next to the shed.

I leave the seed-heads on the purple coneflowers in the winter because the birds love them. They look so cool capped in snow.

The seed-heads of purple coneflowers.

I didn’t trim back the garlic chives because I liked the look of the dried flowers.

Garlic chives.

Snow covering the branches of the wisteria tree, with dangling seed pods.

The wisteria tree.

I planted three Christmas ferns in the fall in the area behind the flower garden that was cleared out. Look how green it is!

Christmas fern.

Dried flowers on the Oakleaf hydrangea and climbing hydrangea.

Oakleaf hydrangea.
Climbing hydrangea.

Herbs by the back porch that are still green.

Lavender.
Sage.

Even though I am not a fan of winter, I can still appreciate how beautiful the snow looks in the garden. Now I feel like curling up in front of the fireplace with a seed catalog and a cup of hot chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment