Monday, May 5, 2014

Beginning of May

Is it really May already? I guess it must be because the dogwood and wisteria are in full bloom.



I love this view from the screened-in porch right now. The brightly colored leaves of the spirea, against the dark, wine-colored ninebark, with the white flowers of the dogwood, and the lavender wisteria flowers make for a really great plant combination. To think, just a couple of years ago this area was an overgrown mess.


The wisteria on the shed and greenhouse is in full bloom now, too. The entire yard smells divine. It is one of my favorite fragrances.


More wisteria on the front porch.


We even have wisteria growing up a big, old tree – seen here with a magenta-colored azalea, which is the only one blooming at the moment.


Another purplish color that is in bloom is the lilac in the front yard. I had rescued this a few years ago from invasive wisteria vines.


I wish I could remember what this pink bulb is. I believe it’s a type of miniature tulip. I planted them maybe two or three years ago in the flower garden and in front of the shed. Need to look up in my previous year’s garden material to see if I can find the name.


I planted three of these Sugar and Spice Foamflowers (Tiarella) last year and all three are doing really well. They are under the tree that is to the left of the entrance to the Kitchen Garden.


In that same area, I had also planted these Variegated Solomon’s Seal. They seem pretty happy here and have spread since I planted them last year.


The flower garden is starting to come to life. Seems like I notice something new every day. It is such an exciting time of the year.


My vegetable seeds are busy trying to grow under the row covers in my raised beds. I can’t wait for fresh veggies. I was about two weeks later than usual getting my seeds planted, due to working on my final project for my web design class. It will be interesting to see how that effects my Kitchen Garden this year. That reminds me, I need to post my list and diagram of what I planted this year. Must get on that.


It was a windy weekend, but I got quite a lot done. I will be sure to post some pictures soon of what I accomplished while trying not to blow away.


No comments:

Post a Comment