Saturday, September 13, 2014

Recipe from the Garden: Tomato, Onion, and Mozzarella Salad

I can’t take credit for this recipe. It is something Brian came up with based on his memory of what his friend’s dad used to make when he was young. It is a great way to use tomatoes from the garden. And as usual, there is cheese involved...however, the cheese wouldn’t have to be included.


Tomato, Onion, and Mozzarella Salad

 

Ingredients:
• chopped tomatoes
• red onions, cut into strips and then in half
• mozzarella balls
• red wine vinegar
• olive oil
• salt
• fresh ground pepper
• optional: chopped fresh basil

Recipe:
I don’t have any exact measurements, this is all done to taste. Mix all of the ingredients except for the mozzarella. Let sit at room temperature or in the fridge for at least a half hour. I like to do it longer, more like an hour or two for the flavors to combine better. Then mix in the mozzarella balls just before serving. You can add fresh chopped basil, too.

I honestly wasn’t sure I would like this salad when Brian first told me about it. I thought I would find it too vinegary or too acidic, but I really like it as long as it is not drowning in vinegar. We sometimes have this with one of the only meals we ever eat together (since we have such opposite taste in food), which is our “baker” meal: baked potato with corn on the cob and some sort of salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment