Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Seems So Long Ago...The Flower Garden in September

One of these days I will catch up with these garden summaries. Now if I can just remember what was happening way back in September. I actually WISH it was September right now instead of the bitter, cold, windy day we have had today.

Ah yes, September was the month of getting stuff done before my class started. One of the many projects I accomplished was painting the back porch railing and replacing the back porch steps (Brian helped with the steps). We were tired of ending up with splitting or rotting stairs each year so we replaced the wood ones with Trex, which are made of 95% recycled materials. Not only is it earth-friendly to use, they also claim to have “ground-breaking green processes.” I like the sound of that, and I like the sound of not having to replace one or more of the steps each year anymore. The freshly painted railing and new steps look so much more attractive now and help show off my potted plants.


It also makes it feel a lot safer stepping out to snip fresh herbs for dinner.


From afar, the flower garden wasn’t looking too shabby in September, at least in parts. My favorite rose bush was still blooming and the yellow annual Melampodium was looking pretty great, as it usually does in the late summer.



The bit of lavender you see in the middle is Obedient plant, which blooms late in the summer.


Here is a closer look at the Obedient Plant (or False Dragonhead). I have to say, I would like to meet the person who named it the Obedient Plant because it is NOT very obedient. It likes to spread. However, it does add a splash of color in the garden at a time of the year when you need it the most.


An annual that added bright, red color to the garden is Summer Jewel Red Salvia. It started off kind of spindly in the spring, but filled out more in the summer.


This anemone is a hidden gem that you have to go hunting for to find. It is in the area I refer to as my Secret Garden, which is along the side of the greenhouse. If memory serves me right, this is Anemone tomentosa Robustissima. It isn’t the best spot for it because it doesn’t really get enough sun, plus it can’t be appreciated in the corner like this. No one puts baby in the corner! If I could find a better spot for it I would consider moving it. Anemone has a sort of whimsy to it that I love and I always get a little giddy when I see it starting to bloom each year. It really deserves a place of importance.


One thing that does NOT look pretty in September are the purple coneflowers. I can’t bring myself to cut them back because the goldfinches love the seeds. I did cut some back, but made sure to leave enough for the birds.


The side opposite my large flower garden has been filling in well. This was an overgrown mess a few years ago. My neighbor’s cat, BJ aka Stubby, photo-bombed this shot, which isn’t unusual. The low-growing, red foliage plants are a type of coleus that likes full sun. I think it is Solenostemon scutellarioides 'Stained Glass Copper', but I really need to double check that. It is described as being brick red in the spring and then turns a coppery color. Mine looked fabulous all season long and didn’t turn a coppery color until the end of September or beginning of October. They still looked pretty good up until our first killing frost, which was just recently. It can really stand the heat, too. I think I only watered these babies twice all season. Seriously. Not many annuals that you can say that about.


I mean really, look at that pop of color! Note to self: I have decided I want to plant more of these here and there throughout the garden next year.


That appears to be all I have to share in regards to the flower garden in September. Looking through my October photos, they really aren’t great. I took them on a bright sunny day with lots of contrasting shadows, which don’t make for good photos. I will see about getting some posted, though...hopefully before the end of NOVEMBER!!! Sheesh, it’s November.



No comments:

Post a Comment