Saturday, April 13, 2013

A Terrarium, Mason Jar, and Potted Succulent

I bought some new terrarium plants last weekend. My terrarium has been empty for awhile since the plants in it had died. I knew I was going to be stopping at Terrain at Styers in Glen Mills, PA on Sunday after attending a lecture at Longwood Gardens, and they always have nice terrarium plants there. What surprised me, though, was what a nice selection they also had in the garden shop at Longwood Gardens.

My terrarium with new plants.

My terrarium now has Yellow Irish Moss (Sagina Subulata ‘Aurea’) and Pin-Cushion Spikemoss (Selaginella Kraussina ‘Brownii’) that I had gotten at the garden shop at Longwood Gardens, and Polka Dot Plant (Hypoetes Phllostachya) which I had gotten at Terrain at Styers.



I had some tiny shells and a little fairy figurine that seemed perfect for my terrarium. (I took these two shots with a macro lens extension.)





While I was at Terrain, I got inspired by some pansies they had planted in a mason jar. I already had what I needed to make my own mason jar planter, except a plant. I bought a cute little fern to go in it. I layered in some charcoal, stones, moss, and soil before adding my fern. I love it! I want to make more!

Small fern in a mason jar.

I found this lovely green, elongated pot at Terrain that was on clearance. I’m wishing I had gotten two because I love how it turned out with this succulent and stones. I believe the succulent is Haworthia. I am in the process of trying to learn more about succulents because I’ve fallen head over heals for them.

I think this succulent is Haworthia.

No comments:

Post a Comment