Sunday, October 28, 2012

It’s Alive, It’s Alive! – Frankenstorm Is Coming!

I couldn’t resist the Frankenstein reference. Being the old movie fan that I am, I actually just saw a double feature of the original Universal “Frankenstein” and “Bride of Frankenstein” movies in the theater on Wednesday. It was a one day only event through Fathom Events / Turner Classics, in celebration of Universal’s 100th anniversary. Whenever the newscasters refer to this storm as Frakenstorm, I can’t help but picture Boris Karloff flying through the air, coming right for the Jersey coast.

Last year it was Hurricane Irene, this time it’s Hurricane Sandy. All in all, Irene wasn’t as bad as they said it would be. However, we didn’t escape unscathed. We had a skylight in our laundry room leak really bad and ended up having to take out the skylight, replace the roof in that area, and replaced the ceiling and a wall in the laundry room. Not fun. But could’ve been a lot worse. This is shaping up to be a much worse storm with prolonged hurricane-force winds and lots and lots of rain. I worry about the big, old trees on our property. They drop branches in small storms and this promises to be a big one. I think our basement will be ok...yeh, I think.... We got some water down there during Irene, but not a lot.

We are prepared with our flashlights, batteries, non-perishables, and fully charged cell phones. I spent a long time yesterday bringing in potted plants and garden ornaments. The plants needed to come in anyway since it’s getting colder. My greenhouse is now chocked full. The greenhouse isn’t in the greatest shape and leaks during rainy weather, but it’s better than being outside. Let’s cross our fingers and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment