Tuesday, August 13, 2013

It Takes a Garden

Despite the torrential downpours we had earlier today, it turned out to be an absolutely gorgeous evening. I gathered some herbs from the garden to have with my tilapia (sage, lemon thyme, marjoram, parsley, basil, and garlic chives), then enjoyed a peaceful dinner on the screened-in back porch (safe from the mosquitoes!). As I sat there looking out at the garden, I counted eight yellow Tiger Swallowtail Butterflies. Wow, EIGHT! Five were on the white butterfly bush and three were on the purple butterfly bush. There’s a reason they call it a butterfly bush! I’m used to seeing that many of the white Cabbage Butterflies because they love the catmint, but I have never seen that many Swallowtails at one time in the garden. I tried to get a couple of videos, but it doesn’t really give the sense of how many were there. Here is one on the purple butterfly bush.



Here are three on the white butterfly bush. Hard to see all three of them in here.



I also saw one Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly, three white Cabbage Butterflies, one Hummingbird, one Goldfinch, two neighborhood cats, and a mommy bird feeding her babies in one of the birdfeeders on the shed (the same birdhouse I showed in my blog recently, but different babies this time). All of these creatures were happily living in perfect harmony in the garden. One of the cats briefly chased some Cabbage Butterflies...some of the butterflies chased each other..all seemingly very happy and playful.

Maybe the answer to peace on earth is more gardens in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment