Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Mosquito Heaven

I don’t need any more mosquitoes in my yard than I already have, so I practice prevention by dumping standing water. This year, however, with all of the rain we’ve had, it has been difficult to keep up with it.

Waterlogged shells.

Today, in our area we had torrential downpours that totaled about 6.5 inches of rain in four hours. We’ve had so many bursts of storms this year that I have heard several people say it’s like living in Florida. I haven’t been to Florida since I was a kid, so I can’t really say. All I know is it is a change from most summers when we are begging for rain.

Below is a so-called self-watering pot, one of two that I purchased early this spring. They have become ponds, complete with their own algae. I need to drill drainage holes unless I want to become a mosquito breeder.

Waterlogged pot.

On a positive note, my water bill is a lot less than in past summers. I can count on one hand how many times I have had to water the garden this year. That’s just crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment