Monday, July 22, 2013

Flower Garden in July

Wow, it’s still July and I am actually posting pictures from THIS month! Crazy. I actually took these TODAY and am posting them TODAY. Unheard of. I don’t expect this will be the start of a new trend, though. Sad, but true.

In my last post, I mentioned my Phlox David. I have tried at least four different other Phlox varieties in my garden over the years and this is the only one that has survived and continues to do well. It will occasionally get powdery mildew, but I spray it with an organic spray if that happens and then it’s fine. I like the pure white flowers. They practically glow in the moonlight. 

Phlox David

The purple coneflowers are seriously going to town right now. I really wish I could get a picture of the goldfinches that visit every morning, but they are very sensitive to noise and fly away whenever I try to capture them on film...or should I say digitally.

Purple Coneflowers.

These two different hydrangeas are doing pretty well. I have three others in the flower garden that are looking pretty fried from the recent heat.

Two different hydrangeas.


This is yet another hydrangea, along with the Black-Eyed Susan that is just starting to bloom.

Another hydrangea and Black-Eyed Susan.

I like sitting on the bench in the Kitchen Garden because it gives a good view of the flower garden. Here’s the view, but a little more zoomed in.

The flower garden in July.

I bought these two tall containers from Plow and Hearth earlier this year. They are supposed to be self-watering, however, they really just fill up with water and attract mosquitoes – and I don’t need any more mosquitoes than I already have. My plan is to drill some holes in the bottom to allow them to drain. The self-watering thing just isn’t working out. The red Cannas don’t seem to mind too much, but the variegated ivy isn’t liking all the water. Take a close look and you might spy a cross-eyed-looking Molly-cat sitting in her bowl on the back porch. (Check out the story of Molly’s bowl if you want to know why Molly is sitting in a bowl.)

Red Cannas and ivy in tall containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment