Saturday, July 7, 2012

Butterflies and Bees

I feel like it has been a very prolific year for bees and butterflies. I’ve especially seen a lot of those little white butterflies flitting about the garden, mainly around the Catmint. I think they’re called Cabbage butterflies. I also feel like the lightening bugs have been particularly abundant this year.

I will sometimes get monarchs, but really the kind of butterflies I see the most (other than the small white ones) are tiger swallowtails. They don’t call it Butterfly Bush for nothin’.

Tiger Swallowtail butterfly on the white butterfly bush.


Tiger Swallowtail again.

Another one, this time on the purple butterfly bush.

Tiger Swallowtail on the purple butterfly bush.

Here is the under-side of a Tiger Swallowtail.

Tiger Swallowtail again.

Bees, bees everywhere. Very busy, those busy bees. I mostly see those larger black and yellow bumble bees, however, I do occasionally see the smaller honey bees. They love the Monarda, the Germander, and the Catmint.

Bee on the Germander.

It always makes me smile when I see Mother Nature’s creatures enjoying the garden as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment