Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Recipe from the Garden: Parmesan-Roasted Green Beans

I planted green beans for the first time ever this year. I started them from seed in the spring. Good ole Burpee Seeds, my tried and true friend, I knew they wouldn’t let me down. The vines have taken over one of my teepee shaped obelisks that Brian and I had built. I noticed the other day that there were actually beans growing in there!

Kentucky Blue Pole Green Beans.

I was practically jumping up and down in the garden, I was so excited. I immediately had to make one of my favorite recipes. I actually never really thought too much of green beans until I started making them this way. I have to give props to Tyler Florence from the Food Network for this recipe. It’s his recipe with a couple of additions of my own.

Parmesan-Roasted Green Beans

(Recipe by Tyler Florence, with a couple of changes)

Ingredients
• 1 pound thin green beans (I just use regular-sized green beans, not “thin”)
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (I have found that shredded does better. The grated melts too fast.)
•  Sprinkle of smoked paprika (My addition. It adds a little “pep” to this dish.)

Directions
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
• Trim off the tough end of the beans
This is my addition here: I blanch the beans in a boiling pot of water for 3-5 minutes, then drain.
• Arrange the beans on a nonstick cookie sheet.
• Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with a little bit of smoked paprika.
• Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top and bake until the cheese melts and forms a crisp shell over the beans, about 10 minutes.
• Let the beans sit a few minutes for the cheese to cool slightly. Lift the beans out onto a platter and serve.

*Also give this recipe a try with asparagus. It’s just as delicious!

(Sorry about the blurry photo. Can’t wait to get my lens back from Canon — this zoom lens just isn’t meant for this!)

Parmesan-Roasted Green Beans. Yum!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment